May 05, 2011

I will learn....

I guess I spoke too soon when I wrote in my newsletter that I have started to blend in more with the culture than I did before. I had two horribly embarrassing moments in the last 24 hours. I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die. I stopped at Gesundbrunnen Center (similar to a mall), which is attached to a train station on the way home from my German class yesterday to pick up some groceries. Walking out of the mall they have these massive revolving doors that are super slow and it’s hard to tell when it’s open. Or at least that is what I have convinced myself of now. I was trying to hurry to the Turkish market and I slammed into the glass and walked right into it because I wanted to “squeeze” through as soon as possible. Clearly, being my size I don’t EVER squeeze anywhere and I paid for it this time. I always say “Oops” loudly too whenever I make a mistake here. Let me remind you that like 15 people can stand in each side of this revolving door, so the WORST part was that I had to stand there and just be embarrassed. Two young girls behind me were laughing so I just laughed with them and then ran once I could escape. So embarrassing. Then today I am biking home from the train station and I stood up on my bike to go faster and because the bike seat kills my butt. The bike is too small and I look like I am trying to be a low rider, which is NOT the case. Anyways though, as I stood up my foot slipped off the pedal and I landed with the bar between my legs (thank goodness I am not a boy). My legs dragged and I almost crashed, but luckily I kept my balance (for once in my life). The bikers around me acted like nothing happened and just laughed to themselves. I just pedaled faster. The bike I ride also is kind of noisy so I feel like everyone can hear me coming and every time I go over a bump my dingy thing rings. Everyone here has bells on their bikes to honk at people. So people ALWAYS think I am honking at them. Biking is SO efficient though, I get everywhere so fast. I wish I could have brought my sweet Mongoose over. Well those are my two embarrassing moments in the last 24 hours.
German class has been going well. I am convinced I shouldn’t have gotten my adenoids out because that way I would be sicker and nasally sounding which would lead to better pronunciation. I constantly have to repeat myself because I don’t sound like a fuzzy television and I can’t roll my “r’s”. I think I might watch a couple YouTube videos that teach you how to roll your “r’s”. People say that you are born with that, but I am convinced I can teach myself the fuzzy television sound and the “r” roll. We will see I guess, I’ll let you know how it goes and maybe you can follow in my footsteps. I still have yet to figure out how to say everyone’s names. We have a boy named Singsong, another one named, Sosong, and a girl named Yinyong. It’s so hard to keep them all straight. Also a Niddy, Solip and Eun. I know one kid’s name because it’s Eric and he is from Michigan. It has been kind of fun getting to know everyone though, I hope they don’t think I am laughing at them because I am more laughing with them. Plus I laugh at myself. Well tomorrow is the last day of class for the week. Thank goodness. I need a break. I never thought I would be someone to live for the weekends again. But I do! It is supposed to be 25 degrees, which is really hot and going to be AMAZING.  I am pumped. The host family has been great, still trying to figure out what I can and cannot do. Like can I walk to my room in a towel? I still do I just make sure the coast is clear and then I make a run for it. I am learning that people in Germany (or maybe just here) shut ALL the doors, so I always think people don’t want me to come in the room. Even the bathrooms. I do miss just being able to leave the door open when I pee. Every door is shut to EVERY room. So I shut my door because I assume I am supposed to, I barely get out and I shut it. Maybe I will ask why that is.  I did some slight rearranging in my room, hopefully that isn’t a problem. I still am not sure what they think about drilling into the wall, more like putting tacks into it, but that’s a question for this weekend. I love having family around and it’s been fun getting to practice my German on them.  Hopefully it comes fast. Twice in three days I blogged, now that’s a record.

No comments:

Post a Comment