| Interlaken |
Well the last few weeks have been adventuresome to say the
least, but I figure we will save those stories for another day. I have been
injured and can’t train, so I have had a little more time on my hands than
normal. I miss training though and I am excited to hopefully play soon. I was
on crutches for the first week and it is crazy how much people move out of your
way. Not to mention give you their seat on the train. I think the best part was
getting “Preferred Boarding” on the plane when I flew to and from Switzerland.
Switzerland was amazing and SO BEAUTIFUL! It was a bigger
and better version of Colorado and every time I looked at the mountains it made
me realize how incredible God is. It reminded me of His power and how detailed
He created the world. I often just stood and looked at the mountains in
complete awe. We went to Interlaken for a day and I don’t think I have ever
seen mountains that are so beautiful. It was so refreshing. I got to visit my
friend Jessie there, who plays professional hockey in Bern and has lived in
Switzerland now for two years.
| Standing in the fountain at the chocolate factory We thought we wouldn't get wet. Bad idea. There is fountain behind me. |
| The amazing chocolate! |
One minor problem we had was the car situation. Jessie’s
teammate let us borrow her car and we were supposed to pick up Michael and his
friend, Michael in Zurich early the next day. The only minor major problem
was that it is a manual and both Jess and I can’t really drive a stick. We both
knew the general concept of how to make it drive, but getting it going without
killing it was always the trick. Jess drove first and did pretty good minus the
time she killed it in the main intersection in Bern and everyone was staring at
us. I was dying laughing. I even squeedered a little (if you don’t know what
that means use your imagination). Not to mention I ended up with a little
whiplash and a rubbery smell from squealing the tires and taking off so fast.
We decided to go practice on a “backstreet”, which wasn’t very hidden because
there were LOTS of cars and people. Eventually it was mine turn to see if I
could do better. FAIL! I got it going a few times, but then I killed it right
by these people and could not get if going for the life of me. The car may or
may not have been smoking a little and the people around were plugging their
noses and laughing at us. EMBARRASSSING! Yes, people in Switzerland laughing at
strangers. Rare occurrence. We decided it was time to park the car (and let it
stop smoking) and find a plan B. There was NO WAY we could drive an hour to
Zurich in rush hour in a car that we couldn’t get going every time we stop.
Train it was! We technically only had to get there because Michael’s friend
could drive a stick. But we figured living was more important.
| Not all for us. Don't worry |
The next day we hung out in Zurich for the day and then
stayed at Jessie’s parents. They made Raclette, which is a typical Swiss meal.
The machine wasn’t working correctly so we ended up microwaving the food. Still
was great though! The last day we went to a Swiss chocolate factory and got to
eat as much chocolate as we wanted. It was AMAZING!!!! We definitely were those
fat Americans. Two groups came through the tour and we were still standing
there eating chocolate. I didn’t and still don’t understand what was wrong with
them. FREE CHOCOLATE! Not just any chocolate. TRUFFLES! Then we went to a Swiss
cheese factory and saw how that cheese is made. Chocolate and cheese! Does life
get any better? Switzerland was great
minus the crutches, but spending time with people that you have known a long
time can definitely be refreshing when you live in a foreign country. Oh and I forgot one of the best parts of
Switzerland. They had Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks!!! It was an investment
that’s for sure. 8.60 Francs for a medium. Definitely worth it though! If I was
rich, I would have bought ten, but clearly that is not the case. I also would
have gone sky diving in the Alps. Someday I will. It is on my bucket list. J
No comments:
Post a Comment